Wednesday 25 December 2013

3D...not seeing the benefits

3D has grown at a stupendous rate over the last few years, it's an absolute must for all major blockbusters to offer audiences the chance to see them in 3D; but it's questionable if adding another dimension enhances the viewing experience.

 I truly would like to say so, but it's actually rather odd. 3D has effectively given rise to a new 'genre' of film as it were. We can already see filming techniques being utilized in order to produce some amazing 3D results but I I feel there needs to be an ultimatum of either films being made purely for viewing purposes in 3D, or not at all. A good example is The Hobbit and The Desolation of Smaug of which I have written a short review. There are moments within this film where you think "They have clearly shot it that way for the 3D experience". An arrow point speeding up close to the camera ect. For me however, this spoils the viewing experience of non-3D film. I need to be able to lose myself within the story, I can't do this with a 2D film while there are certain camera shots within it which are obviously for the entertainment of the 3D viewer.


I think what it comes down to is a 'coolness' factor. I am not for one second degrading 3D, far from it. But 3D just offers a 'cool' element to a film. Can you imagine watching a film like A Beautiful Mind and thinking it would have been better in 3D? Probably not. 3D is only appropriate for visually impressive sequences and should remain as such. Not all films being released are available in 3D, many are not simply because like I say there would be no point. I am just hoping that 3D is recognised as an addition to our ever widening choice of viewing experiences...and not becoming the norm.

No comments:

Post a Comment